Thursday 28 June 2007

MS3 starts tomorrow!

Woo Hoo! Can't wait! But, will I still be so excited a week from now when I've been struggling with adding the beads, and keep losing stitches as the YOs jump off my needles with no effort on my part? I hope so.

To keep myself amused whilst I waited for MS3 to start, and for the first time in my life, I did a swatch. It turned out to be pretty illuminating. The yarn was a gorgeous silver-grey 100% silk. But it was much finer than I expected (even allowing for the fact that it was oiled). There was almost no differentiation between the stocking stitch and yarn overs - big disappointment. What I should have done was re-ordered it, requesting that Colourmart wind it double; but I didn't, I sent it back and got a full refund. I have not had much luck with yarn substitutions in the past, and was so keen to ensure that I finished a stole that worked out perfectly, that I lost my nerve, and ordered exactly what Melanie chose to make the original stole (even down to the colour and using the needle size that she is using).


So here is my first ever swatch. This is also the first time that I've ever tried blocking anything. What a difference it made. The YOs are pretty clear IMHO. I am inordinately pleased with it. The only niggle is the two almost invisible beads that I added (in the downward points of the middle row). They were a little fiddly to add with my itty-bitty 0.75mm crochet hook, and you can't even see them in the pic! Ah, well... perhaps when I've added a couple hundred in the correct place per the pattern they will glisten.


So to finish off, here is a picture of the materials I plan to use for this project. I'm all a-quiver...



4 comments:

Jen C said...

Great page, pics are expressive and nicely done. GL with MS3 the pattern looks gorgeous.

Jen C

Anonymous said...

It's a shame your first yarn didn't work out, but the second looks really good.
I love the last picture, too!

Lucy said...

Your swatch looks very pretty!! Good luck with your KAL - Look forward to following your progress!! Happy Knitting!

TussahSilk said...

Ladies, THANK YOU SO MUCH for the encouragement. When you write a blog, it can seem that you are speaking into the fog with no feedback. I appreciate you taking the time to leave a message.
Jacqui